'Tis the Season

This year I did surprisingly well at craft sales with a small easy to create Santa ornament. I used up some of my factory mill end yarn, and left over sewing scraps. Eventually I will have to post about the sewing that causes the scraps...

I saw a Santa ornament on a tree in the background of a picture on a website that I don't recall and thought it was very cute. I have since made these little guys from 4" (8cm) tall to 2" (5cm). I charge the same for them no matter what size. Any that don't sell will be the bows on my presents to friends and family. Which you all know you will be getting sometime between March and July of next year.
I also got to use up some elastic gold thread/string that I have no idea why it was ever purchased. Little googly eyes did have to be purchased for this project and I will wax poetically about the glue later.

For this project you need:
    Red felt or scrap heavy fabric
    White yarn (pieces longer than 2' (.5m)
    yarn needle
    Hand sewing needle and thread
    glue - I used Aleene's brand super gel
    googly eyes (technical term)
    elastic thread/string


Cut your scrap into a variety of rectangles. Edges to not have to be particularly square.
Hand sew or glue your rectangle into a cone shape.
Glue 2 googly eyes to the red cone.

Create a pom-pom from the white yarn. Wrap yarn around 2 fingers 20-40 times depending on how lush you want your pom-pom to be, leave a tail.

Using your yarn needle wrap yarn around centre of the pom-pom between your fingers. Pull tight and tie off.

Trim pom-pom into an even circle.
Cut a length of elastic thread/string tie a knot in one end and thread the other through the yarn needle. Push the yarn needle through the centre of your pom-pom and up through the point of the hat. Then leaving a loop to hang on the tree go back through the point of the hat and pom-pom. Cut the thread/string to a length that will allow hanging and tie a knot in the end. Pull on the loop at the top of the hat to hide know in the pom-pom. One more knot at the point of the hat to keep it from falling off the string and Santa is ready for your tree.

Yes, I know I used the same picture twice, but these ornaments are just too cute. Also if you really like the idea but don't want to make them, let me know and I can sell to you for $1 each.

Happy Christmas



Comments